MICHAEL MOORE: MENDACITY WRIT LARGE

Now that Sicko has been made available for viewing by serious commentators, it is becoming obvious that the film is even more disingenuous than expected.

Moore’s trademark combination of anecdote and innuendo paints such an obviously false picture of American health care that it is angering a lot of people who actually care about the issue. Among the most incisive demonstrations of that phenomenon can be found in this review by Peter Barry Chowka, who says:

The [film’s] intent is to mislead rather than to inform or enlighten. SiCKO strikes me as even worse than Moore’s previous, problematic long form works, the anti-gun Bowling for Columbine and the rabidly anti-Bush Fahrenheit 9/11.

Meanwhile, Moore’s dishonesty isn’t limited to his film. At the press conference preceding the Washington preview of Sicko, he repeated virtually every debunked Lefty canard in the book. This piece by David Hogberg re-debunks them.

Finally, for a somewhat over-the-top take on Sicko, go to Michelle Malkin’s blog and watch this.

1. Matt wrote:

So what’s your solution to the ills you’re always bitching about? Besides protecting your liability carrier, that is.

Posted 22 Jun 2007 at 11:48 pm
  2. Paul wrote:

LOL +1 @ Matt!

Over the top is right when talking about Michelle Malkin. MM = Rush Loudbaugh?

Posted 23 Jun 2007 at 1:05 am

To begin with, we need to deregulate health care. Here’s a brief discussion of how that would impact the system.

Deregulation should be augmented by a wholehearted embrace of the free market. For a discussion of that, go here.

Posted 23 Jun 2007 at 8:11 am
  4. Matt wrote:

I like your second link. Here’s a question though – can health care ever be truly reformed as long as the government is paying for 40-50% of total expenditures?

And will physicians actually embrace the free market?

Posted 23 Jun 2007 at 3:47 pm

I think it is indeed possible to reform the system if government pays a big part of the bill. We just have to get its regulatory impulse under control. You wouldn’t believe the red tape they impose on hospitals.

As to the docs, I think most of them will embrace the market, although there has been some serious grumbling about Walmart clinics and other such innovations.

Posted 24 Jun 2007 at 12:29 pm
  6. Matt wrote:

Why do you think most of them will embrace the free market? They all have the opportunity to do so now, but very few do it.

It would require leaving the guaranteed reimbursement of large, solvent payers. It would require increased education on customer service skills. It would require, at least temporarily, a hiccup in the standard of living of most docs. It would also likely require docs to learn to advertise and to market, and to give the public ways to rate the quality of their services. Personally, I think it would be a good thing, because I think many physicians are insulated from the concept of customer/client service. But I can’t see them breaking away from the reimbursement model they’ve accepted for decades and still gives them that very solid standard of living. Hopefully I’m wrong.

And I would believe the red tape. But that comes with accepting the taxpayers’ money. If enough providers, be they hospitals or individual docs, revolt, that is the most likely thing to stop it.

Posted 24 Jun 2007 at 12:53 pm
  7. Anthony wrote:

I did 6 months of my surgical training in England.

It was awesome…
    -Strictly nine to five
    -Worked 1/5 weekends
    -Performed major surgery my first night on call with no attending present (illegal in US) so good 1st step in gaining confidence.
    -Watched an RAF pilot die after a motorcycle accident because could not get a CT scan done on him at 0100 hrs to diagnose a peforated bowel.
    -My consultant (attending) left on vacation for three weeks and left me a full surgical schedule to do on my own. A bit touchy with two circumscisions on adult males the first day (never done /or seen one before), quick! where is the library?
    -Patients diagnosed with esophageal or gastric cancer had a full 10 minutes to discuss it with the consultant before being scheduled for esophagectomy or gastrectomy.

Well, at least the work hours part of it was awesome.

Also, the labors of Middle Eastern physicians who lived in small apartments next to the hospital (also where I lived) allowed the NHS to function. They were kept as residents (training physicians) for year after year with little hope of becoming consultants in order to supply the care needed. Looks like that is now biting England in the arse.

Also trained for 12 months at a large Veterans Hospital here in the U.S.A. Still remember my first trip on the elevator at 0500 with my drunk surgical attending. Work now with many IHS (Indian Health Service) patients. I hate the surgical complications I have to treat from the Family Practice Physician that the IHS lets do laparoscopic surgery.

My gosh, government run health care, what is Moore smokin?

Posted 02 Jul 2007 at 6:43 pm

Trackbacks & Pingbacks 1

1. From Free Market Cure - Blog on 23 Jun 2007 at 8:14 am

[...] } Sicko, The Reaction June 24, 2007 7:14 am – David Hogberg Kudos to Catron for pointing us to this great discussion of Michael Moore at the American Thinker. Money quote: One [...]