MICHELLE OBAMA’S PATIENT DUMPING SCHEME

A good deal of well-deserved opprobrium has been directed at the University of Chicago Medical Center pursuant to its patient-dumping scheme. The latest criticism comes from the American College of Emergency Physicians:

ACEP’S president, criticized the hospital’s Urban Health Initiative, which diverts patients to clinics and hospitals on the South Side. Jouriles said the hospital is trying to “cherry pick” wealthy patients over poor.

What has gone unnoticed, for the most part, is the role our new First Lady played in formulating that disgraceful program.  As the Chicago Sun-Times reported last August:

Barack Obama’s wife and three close advisers have been involved with a program at the University of Chicago Medical Center that steers patients who don’t have private insurance — primarily poor, black people — to other health care facilities.

And Mrs. Obama wasn’t the only close associate of our new President who was involved in this patient-dumping program. I go into much greater detail over at the American Thinker.

UPDATE:

The Hannity people interviewed me for a segment on this dumping program. Go here to see it.

1. Nurse K wrote:

“Triage out” is an appropriate thing to implement. As long as the patient does not have an emergency condition, the duty of the emergency dept is done. Traditionally, patients are still treated for their URIs or sore throats or chronic migraines, but this is a waste of ER resources.

I got a good friend that works at the equivalent ER in my state, the county ER in a mostly black area of town and she says that at least 80% of “business” is straight-up clinic/urgent care stuff. Poverty and blackness are related however you want to look at it, and this is also correlated with an overuse of the emergency department for non-urgent complaints.

Hope and change will come when the most expensive level of care reserved for those who are the most ill or injured is not used for clinic-visit stuff. If there are alternative resources available, those should not go unused.

Posted 22 Feb 2009 at 7:59 pm

I’m all for “triaging out” the clinic/urgent care patients. What I have a problem with is their obvious strategy of reserving IP beds for well-heeled patients with good insurance while shipping the Medicaid inpatients to the hapless community hospital across town.

Posted 23 Feb 2009 at 8:13 pm
  3. DG in GA wrote:

While I agree that triage is necessary in ERs, I would like to know more about what was going on at UCMC. My local ER (in an Atlanta suburb) is always full – and it mostly appears to be uninsured illegals. But when my family needs the ER – for which we will pay – we are only given services if the ailment is life-threatening or another urgent problem like a broken bone or excessive bleeding. Other than that, we are referred to a private physician. We don’t even make it into the waiting room. This makes me wonder why, day and night, the ER is still filled with people who aren’t broken and bleeding, and who don’t appear to be able to pay. Are insured people turned away to provide room for the uninsured? Don’t get me wrong, I am not opposed to having some sort of inexpensive clinics where the indigent can get treatment for minor ailments. I just don’t understand why, if the ER is turning away non-emergency patients, they are still mobbed 24/7? And how long can our local hospital, which is a for-profit company, stay in business?

Posted 02 Mar 2009 at 5:39 pm
  4. Jeffrey Johnson wrote:

I am appalled that such nonsense goes, and from the highest levels of our country none the less. The rich get richer, and if you are Obama’s friend, so will you.

Posted 22 Jul 2009 at 9:20 pm
  5. Mary wrote:

Thank you to the courageous people who informed this nation of the antics of the Obama’s and the Axelrod’s. Truth always stands on its own. How is it that nonmedical personel are able to yield such horrendous havoc on their fellow countrymen?! They are corrupt. What cruelty they inflicted on people who trusted them!

Posted 22 Jul 2009 at 11:12 pm
  6. robert rogers wrote:

seems this sort of patient dumping is catching on!
    how about a person with insurance taken to the hospital by helicopter for a serious head injury after a mva sewn up and sent home and told to check back after 2 weeks?
    this same person is now going in for more surgery on thier head next week to try to repair the great job done at the hospital
    talk about a savings there $$

Posted 11 Oct 2009 at 2:02 pm