SARAH PHOBIA

I have to confess that I once thought Bush Derangement Syndrome was a relatively isolated phenomenon related to Iraq and the general frustration of progressives over repeated electoral debacles before 2006.

It has now become obvious, however, that the daily two minutes of hate to which Bush was subjected will henceforth be directed toward any Republican with a significant following among the voters.

Anyone who poses a threat to perpetual one-party rule by the Democrats must be destroyed. Thus, Palin continues to be subjected to nasty and surreal attacks such as this passage from Sullivan:

[John Fund] reveals the contours of the next Republican presidential campaign, in which Palin will lead a cohort of Beck and Limbaugh dittoheads on a platform of a holy war in the Middle East, the restitution of torture as a core American value, and tax cuts in the face of massive and mounting debt.

That this emanates from rank terror of her popularity is confrmed by Sullivan’s implicit assumption that Palin has, in effect, already won the 2012 Republican nomination for President.

He doesn’t take her rivals seriously, the only reality-based feature of his views concerning the Republican base, and he is thus terrified that she will do to Obama what Reagan did to Carter in 1980.

It is a well-founded fear.

UPDATE:

Meanwhile, back at the book store, Palin’s as yet unpublished tome is already a bestseller:

Forty-eight days before the release and she’s already topped Dan Brown’s latest conspiracy-theory casserole at both top retailers. To put that in perspective, note that the book doesn’t even have a cover yet. So much for the Page Six hit piece about demand for her being slack.

One can certainly see why our progressive friends ”hope” the Republicans will make the “mistake” of nominating her for President.

1. paradoctor wrote:

Palin is very popular in the 25% Republican base, and very, very unpopular in the 75% rest of the population. Ditto for Beck and Limbaugh. It’s partly due to policy differences, but mostly due to sanity and integrity differences. Palin seems, to the 75%, incompetent, ignorant, opportunistic, and irrational. Of course Sullivan’s critique is surreal; everything about Palin, and the extremists she fronts for, is surreal.

Posted 30 Sep 2009 at 12:40 pm
  2. John wrote:

I know it is fashionable on the right to attribute all anti-Palin sentiment to simple, visceral “hatred” of the woman from mindless lefties, and that the left is actively trying to “destroy” her. The reality, however, is otherwise. The left doesn’t “hate” Sarah Palin. I certainly don’t. We are, however, (at least most of us – there are mindless “haters” of all political stripes) deeply puzzled by her weird popularity on the right, and, more importantly, deeply troubled by her dazzling incoherence and ignorance on the most basic matters of public policy. She just simply doesn’t know what on earth she is talking about. It’s not hatred nearly so much as it is sheer incredulity.

Look, I never got the whole Reagan thing either, but at least at some level, I could begrudgingly admit that I understood what my righty friends saw in the affable fellow. But with Palin, whenever I see one of those bumper stickers that just says, “Sarah!”, I want to pull the car over and ask the driver, “Really? Sarah Palin? You want to see Sarah Palin become the single most important and powerful person on the planet? You want to put your future and the well-being of the country in the hands of Sarah Palin from Wassila, Alaska? Really?” In fact, our incredulity is so extraordinary that we really don’t want to “destroy” her at all. We want you to nominate her for President in 2012. Yeah, we do.

The political health of this country is not good with the Republican Party largely in the hands of the likes of Palin, Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Michelle Bachmann, Huckabee, Joe Wilson, the “College Republican” set in Congress, Joe the Plumber, Hannity, Ann Coulter, O’Reilly, Mark Levin, Newt Gingrich, et al. The GOP needs to crash and burn so that something a bit more “adult” in both thought and demeanor rises up from the ashes to replace the strange quasi-religious cult that it has become over the past generation. And in our view, nothing guarantees the crash-and-burn strategy quite like a Sarah Palin Presidential nomination. So run, Sarah, run!!!

Posted 30 Sep 2009 at 2:06 pm

John, et al, I recommend that you peruse 1984, particularly the passages involving “two minutes hate” and Emmanuel Goldstein. If you look closely, you will see yourselves (and not on the screen).

Posted 30 Sep 2009 at 3:21 pm
  4. explodedview wrote:

I would agree with John, but would depart at the assertion that there is not hatred for Palin and what she represents. I definitely hate the fact that there is not a credible, conservative party in this country. I hate the fact that the Right is not interested in being serious makers of policy. I hate the fact that the hard right crows about future book sales and a lot of people in the Washington mall or the fact that the President uses a TelePrompter, when demographically they have never been more impotent in history. I hate how a small but loud contingent of this country can only comprehend politics as a football game, where yelling louder somehow scores more points and winning one news cycle compares with the overarching political trends. I hate the cowardice that will allow so many on the right to backslide on whatever morals they profess to have as long as it nets them some short-term benefit. So I do hate Palin, insofar as I hate unserious people who believe they are suited for serious things that directly affect my life.

But I agree with the folks above in that I want Sarah Palin to run and win the GOP nomination. Not only would it be endlessly entertaining to watch a cynical fame-whore get gutted by the harsh glare of A-level politics and media (again!), but it would break the back the current GOP. Finally, some adults would step in and we might have two relatively functional political parties again. I am no Democrat, but the current state of the GOP is physically repugnant to me…and any research done into the subject will show I am in the majority. Please keep this minstrel show up, as to further your own demise.

Posted 30 Sep 2009 at 4:17 pm
  5. Matt Horn wrote:

I don’t know about Sarah as a presidential candidate although she has much more experience than the current occupant of the office. I like her as a true blue American. I think she needs some more vetting to the glare of national attention, where she must be able to articulate a true conservative vision. I think what was done to her by McCain was for the left wing of the republican party to try to put her in her place as they viewed it. I hope this current administration will convince people of the insidiousness of the democratic agenda and their goal of destroying this country.

Posted 30 Sep 2009 at 4:55 pm
  6. Kevin wrote:

John, I feel your pain, except for me it goes like this:

“Really? Barack Obama? You want to see Barack Obama become the single most important and powerful person on the planet? You want to put your future and the well-being of the country in the hands of Barack Obama from Chicago, Illinois?”

Good thing he was elected, though. He’s become Jimmy Carter quicker than even Carter did. If the remainder of his term is as bad as these first few months, it will have been well worth the inevitable small-government revolution at the polls in 2012, Palin as the nominee or otherwise.

Posted 30 Sep 2009 at 10:56 pm
  7. MJ wrote:

Just because a book is a “bestseller” doesn’t make it good.

Posted 30 Sep 2009 at 10:58 pm
  8. Paul wrote:

Matt,

What the heck is a “True Blue American” and who is qualified to make that determination? This is not a country built on badges of “American” heritage. This is a country built on a legal process. (That’s what the constitution represents.)

The current occupant of the office is just as “American” as Sarah Palin and he was put there by a majority of Americans in a legal election. If you want to take “your” country back, run a worthy candidate capable of persuading the majority of our democracy that his or her policies and character are superior to Mr. Obama’s. Also, while you may believe the policies of the current administration are destroying this country, you are only deluding (and marginalizing) yourself by claiming that the Democrats’ “goal” is to destroy the nation. In fact, they just have a different view about how to improve the country.

Posted 30 Sep 2009 at 11:18 pm
  9. Charles Sarno wrote:

@ Catron #3 That was a pretty mindless response to the other more substantive posts. Perhaps you should be the one rereading 1984.

Posted 01 Oct 2009 at 3:06 am
  10. evenu wrote:

There are certainly many on the right who are capable; who take the business of governing the nation seriously; and who have responsible policy prescriptions for these trying times. But, alas, it appears all of them have been cowed by the current mania in the GOP that celebrates ignorance, that believes a simple “No!” uttered loud enough is an apposite counter proposal. GOP is so scared of Obama that they are determined to oppose his administration at all costs. Be damn the country! … Some program, eh!

Still: I’m optimistic. If the GOP wants to nominate a Right-wing Mondale, who are we to deny them the pleasure?

Posted 01 Oct 2009 at 6:48 am
  11. John wrote:

Kevin, bear with me for just a second here. Let’s assume a context other than the political arena (if that’s at all possible in this hyper-politicized, partisan-ized world). Let’s assume you’re, I don’t know, a businessman or the head of a major foundation of some sort, and you’ve got a serious, complicated, adult-world problem that requires you seriously to contemplate a variety of complex, interrelated issues and personalities, and that demands that you be able to sort through it all in a responsible, organized, coherent, articulate way, and then PERFORM in such a fashion that the matter gets resolved in the most efficient and productive way possible under the circumstances. It’s just you and two advisors in the room, and you’ve got to start making real decisions, and taking real actions now, or this very real and serious problem is going to start getting worse. The two advisors are Barack Obama and Sarah Palin, with no agenda other than to give you the very best input they are capable of. If you are honestly going to tell me that you would turn, at a time of great urgency, to the likes of Sarah Palin rather than Barack Obama, for measured, calm, intelligent, well-informed, dispassionate, serious advice and counsel about a serious problem, well . . . I can’t help you. I do know that if that was an example of your judgment under pressure, and you were my employee . . . I’d fire you.

Posted 01 Oct 2009 at 11:58 am
  12. Jack wrote:

My parents ditched the GOP this year. When asked about their opinion of where that party was headed? “Scary, it’s just gotten so extreme.”

Posted 01 Oct 2009 at 4:26 pm
  13. Karl Quick wrote:

Sarah is not a Republican at heart. She is very much “everywoman” who lives out in the middle of the country, raises her children, joins the PTA and becomes frustrated by the bureaucracy and the absurd politics… and demands honesty.

I doubt she has a chance at the nomination, though she very well may become the founder of a new party made up of the majority of us who consider ourselves totally disgusted with both the Republicans AND the Democrats.

Party politics in this country has evolved a clump of idiots that think party is more important than honesty and humility.

We see through them and will no longer vote for them. For a while, we’ll be forced to vote against whoever is in power until both parties are too weak to keep us down. Then we will be able to field citizens who put country first.

If this is “radical talk” from your perspective, then you obviously don’t understand the history of this country and reveal youself as a party slave. We feel sorry for you. Prepare to lose.

Posted 01 Oct 2009 at 4:26 pm
  14. Tom from Colorado wrote:

Catron,

The two minutes hate has been an established feature of right wing talk radio for years, only it’s been lengthened. It’s called The Rush Limbaugh Show. (If you don’t believe me, turn it on and turn the volume down until you can’t hear the words, only the tone. All that’s left is hate.)

Posted 01 Oct 2009 at 6:27 pm
  15. David from Kentucky wrote:

I’m still a registered Republican, but I can’t bring myself to associate any longer with what the party has become. I know a lot of ordinary rank and file conservatives that see the current behavior as more than a little crazy. Where are the classical conservatives like William Buckley, people who saw that protecting the social fabric and order was important, people who were proud of being educated and articulate? They must be in hiding, because the people that are publicly representing the Republican party today act like frothing-at-the mouth insurrectionists.

Posted 01 Oct 2009 at 7:49 pm