VIDEO: MOURNING IN AMERICA

This VERY powerful video, which Citizens for the Republic modeled after Ronald Reagan’s famous “Morning in America” ad, lays out precisely where we are after trusting the reins of government to irresponsible and dishonest people:

There’s mourning in America. Today, 15 million men and women won’t have the opportunity to go to work. Businesses shuttered. Twenty-nine hundred families will have their homes foreclosed by nightfall. This afternoon, 6,000 men and women will be married, each of their children to be born with a $30,000 share of the runaway national debt.

[ht Hot Air]

Just for the record, what would you have done in 18 months to do better with jobs and the economy? Bear in mind that without the Bush/Obama bailouts and stimulus, the situation would be far worse, so if you wouldn’t have done them you need to factor that in too.

Posted 23 Sep 2010 at 3:58 am
  2. Zyph wrote:

I would have decreased taxes and spending instead of doing the exact opposite. Even now, they are planning one of the greatest tax hikes in history under the label “allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire.” This labeling is disingenuous to say the least. The current tax rates are the current rates. Letting tax cuts from 8 years ago expire is a tax hike. Period. And any idiot who knows the first thing about economics knows that hiking taxes in the middle of a recession is the Last thing you want to do.

To those that say it’s “tax cuts on the rich”… who do you think creates jobs? While this government arbitrarily makes changes to binding contracts, takes over businesses, raises taxes, and spends at a rate 20 times that seen during the Bush administration, businesses and “the rich” are taking their money elsewhere. The US economy is the just about as investment un-friendly an environment as you can find.

Posted 23 Sep 2010 at 6:52 pm
  3. Rich wrote:

Payroll tax holiday, don’t pass Obamacare (which increased uncertainty exponentially and for years) extend or make permanent Bush tax cuts (18 months ago, to decrease uncertainty over that time period), don’t bail out auto makers or banks, not pass legislation that preferentially favors unions over non unionized or professional (i.e. Prohibited from unionizing) workers, not make promises that could not be kept (keep unemployment under eight percent) the failure of which increases uncertainty, stop extending unemployment benefits.

Posted 23 Sep 2010 at 8:57 pm

If you had followed your path Rich you would have had several million people begging in the streets as the banks collapsed.

As for the tax cuts, that’s nonsense because they’ve been in place all along – they are only due to expire at the end of this year (and Obama wants to extend them for the vast majority).

And it’s nonsense too to say that investors weren’t already going heavily into China and other overseas opportunities before Obama.

The US desperately needs huge investment in infrastructure, and also cannot afford to leave millions of people exposed to yet more insecurity by trashing their unions and stopping them getting healthcare. If you want a productive economy you have to invest in the raw materials.

As Paul Krugman writes today of one of your heroes:

‘The late Irving Kristol, one of the intellectual godfathers of modern conservatism, once wrote frankly about why he threw his support behind tax cuts that would worsen the budget deficit: his task, as he saw it, was to create a Republican majority, “so political effectiveness was the priority, not the accounting deficiencies of government.?’

Posted 24 Sep 2010 at 11:24 am
  5. Rich wrote:

I would thank you not to impose onto me your theories about who my heroes are.

Secondly, you’re supposition (which you state as a fact) is your opinion. Other’s disagree.

And your comments about the tax cuts are nonsense. It is certain that I will die, but that does not stop me from increasing my certainty as to when that might be, by engaging in activities which alter that inevitable consequence of life. Similarly, while the tax cuts were designed to expire, there has been a “promise” from Obama to extend them, but the promise lacks certainty (after 19 months, not a single bill has been proposed), and the level of unknown inhibits speculative business activity. I own a business, and I HAVE made decisions based on this lack of certainty. I could afford a new employee if the tax cuts remain in place, I cannot if they don’t. So I will wait and see. If I knew a year ago that they would remain for a couple more years, I would have made the hiring decision already. You see, what I don’t spend in my business goes in my pocket. I can afford to spend a little more if my personal taxes are a little less. But if my personal taxes go up, I have to take home a larger piece of the revenue to remain at the status quo, so I don’t hire anybody.

If Obama really wanted to extend the cuts, there would be (or would have been 18 months ago) a bill that would accomplish just that. 18 months ago he had the votes to do it with ease, but chose not too. This was a promise he made in 2008 (http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/UploadedPDF/411749_updated_candidates.pdf). Are you asserting that this is a new, recent, or otherwise previously unconsidered issue? Or that he didn’t have the votes when he took office? Where is the bill? Until there is a concrete proposal (which Pelosi could introduce ANYTIME) it is all rhetoric and hot air. What he (or any other sitting president) publicly says he wants is irrelevant, as long as he has the power to have his lackeys introduce the relevant bill, but fails to do so. Why hasn’t a bill been introduced? Why is it waiting until after the elections? Perhaps he is more interested in political effectiveness than the prosperity of his people. Must be.

No one is trashing the unions but the unions. If they can’t survive on their own, why must I (one forbidden from joining a union by federal law) subsidize them?

Finally, Kristol’s words could be applied to the Democratic leadership, if you replace “tax cuts” with “amnesty for illegal immigrants” and “protecting the citizenry” with “accounting deficiencies of government”.

Would that you were as critical of Obama’s failed policies as you were of my untested propositions. But that disconnect is very common among Obama supporters generally.

Posted 27 Sep 2010 at 5:12 pm

Sorry Rich, but extending all the tax cuts permanently will add approaching $4 trillion to your deficit, as many experts have said. Is that what you want?

As for not hiring, this is BS. If your business will benefit from a new hire, you’ll do it. A personal tax cut to business owners just puts cash in their own pockets.

And apart from Catron then, who are your heroes? I would have thought Kristol would have suited your year zero type thinking very well.

Posted 02 Oct 2010 at 3:52 pm